Mohaas.net | Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead Community

War application/module

Everything related to the games.

War application/module

Postby emiclime » 16 Jun 2014, 21:06

Hi, I don´t know if this is a correct forum for my question, but I hope it will be accepted anyway and that anyone have some suggestion for me.

After our web host decided to not support PHP 5.2 our war application/module stopped working since it is not supported in PHP 5.3. The module we have used for many years is vWar and what I can find out is that the developer is no longer active so we can most likely not expect any updates. So I wonder if anyone is familiar with similar applications/tools to handle war requests, history, opponent data, etc. that will actually work in PHP 5.3 and higher. I do not find anything myself when browsing internet.

I am really a noob on this kind of stuff and hope that anyone here has a better knowledge and might be able to help me out.
emiclime
CMS

Re: War application/module

Postby Appelpitje » 17 Jun 2014, 13:49

Is it a standalone application or is it an addon for your CMS?
Appelpitje
GUN

Postby modder » 18 Jun 2014, 14:28

PHP should be compatible with apps of lower versions.

I cannot really believe that it does not work. Maybe we can
try to fix the issue?
modder
2A

Postby emiclime » 18 Jun 2014, 21:01

As I said I am really a noob on this kind of stuff...but a few months ago we noticed that the webpage only loaded a blank page when we tried to enter vWar.

When I created the ticket to Surftown (our host) about the issue that vWar stopped working they said it could have to do with the phase out of PHP 5.2. They asked me to create a file called .htaccess and put the file into the catalogue where the application is. The file should contained the following lines:
# Display error
php_flag display_startup_errors on
php_flag display_errors on
php_flag html_errors on

After adding this file into the catalogue and reloading the page for vWar the page was no longer just blank, it returned this message:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare lcfirst() in /hsphere/local/home/mohaasweden.se/modules/vwar/includes/functions_common.php on line 543

What it means I don´t know, but according to Surftown this message confirms that vWar is not supported in PHP 5.3. And this is why we need to find another application or get vWar updated, but www.vwar.de does not seem to be active anymore.

The application is not specific for CMS, it is a freeware and I have seen a lots of clans using it in the past. Those days I don´t know how many clans using it.

We could also change host to one still supporting PHP 5.2, but I guess it will be phased out in the future also there and we will end up with the same problem again.

Really appreciate if anyone can come up with a solution.
emiclime
CMS

Postby wappe » 20 Jun 2014, 07:15

Well at first I would had suggested you to post the module as an attachment, so someone here could modify it to support new versions of PHP. But just by a quick Googling, I found out that this module has been reported to several websites for its vulnerabilities in security. I'd recommend trying to find another module.
wappe
2A

Postby emiclime » 04 Aug 2014, 20:41

Yeah I have also read about vWars vulnerability in security, but we have never noticed any problems with it until a few months ago, when it stopped working. I will see what I can do to post the module as an attachment....
emiclime
CMS

Postby Appelpitje » 23 Aug 2014, 16:49

Post the module here, so we can look into it. :)
Appelpitje
GUN

Postby emiclime » 11 Oct 2014, 13:43

I have been off the game and all related to it for a while, but might be back now ^^

So I will check again how to get the module in here for you to take a look at it. Anyone having ideas or suggestions on other war modules we might be able to use instead?
emiclime
CMS

Postby Appelpitje » 11 Oct 2014, 18:37

I don't know for your CMS specific, nor standalone modules.
But i think their should be standalone scripts. :(
Appelpitje
GUN

Postby emiclime » 20 Oct 2014, 22:23

Hi

Believe it or not, but yesterday I found some useful information on how to change php codes in vwar to make it work in PHP 5.3 and today I spent a few hours to change different codes one by one and now it actually seems to work again :)

http://mohaasweden.se/modules.php?name=vwar&file=war

Thanks for being here and offer your help, but it seems that this issue is solved. (I really hope so)
emiclime
CMS

Return to Allied Assault / Spearhead / Breakthrough